CLEARFIELD – Thousands were drawn to the Central Mountains Region Antique Automobile Club of America’s 41st annual Antique and Custom Auto Show on Aug. 20 at the Clearfield Driving Park.
This year’s show was sponsored by FORD and Dotts Motor Co., of Clearfield, which had a display of vehicles on-hand for spectators to view.
Owners displayed 114 cars, trucks, vans, motorcycles and trikes. This year was a judged show event, and vehicle owners were requested to have a fire extinguisher to be judged.
The crowd was entertained by Lil’ Man Sound Production, and there was an indoor and outdoor flea market.
Vendors had an array of food for the spectators to enjoy. Boy Scout Troop 2 of Clearfield held its annual bake sale during the event.
This year’s Car of the Year was a 1984 El Camino owned by Rich and Lori Yarger of West Decatur. It was featured on this year’s annual wine by Starr Hill Vineyard and Winery.
The car classes and award winners are as follows:
- Class A, Antique Class to 1933: first place, 1930 Ford Model A, Dave Walk, Tyrone, Pa.; second place, 1931 Desoto SA, Ed Hinkle, Pleasant Gap, Pa.; and third place, 1922 Franklin Touring, Mac Dufton, Clearfield, Pa.
- Class B, Antique Class 1934-1949: first place, 1938 Pontiac DA 6 Touring, John Inlow, Clearfield, Pa.
- Class C, Antique Class 1920-1966: first place, 1965 Ford Mustang, Mike Kopera, Carrolltown, Pa.; 1955 Ford Customline, Robert and Rebecka Risbon, Altoona, Pa.; and 1966 Chevy Caprice, Bob Topinka, Philipsburg, Pa.
- Class D, Antique Class 1967-1974: first place, 1971 Buick GS, Randy Fulton, DuBois, Pa.; second place, 1967 Dodge Coronet R/T, Larry Turchetta, Altoona, Pa.; and third place, 1969 Chevy Yenko Camaro, Tony and Janet Torrell, Reynoldsville, Pa.
- Class E, Classic Class 1975-1992: first place, 1978 Pontiac Firebird, Jason Stanton, Smithmill, Pa.; second place, 1986 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme, Joel Stanton, Philipsburg, Pa.; and third place, 1978 Ford T-Bird, Don Kelly, Clearfield, Pa.
- Class F, Classic Cars 1993-2002: first place, 1966 Ford Mustang GT, Colton Silas Ralston, Glasgow, Pa., and second place, 1977 Chevy Camaro z/28, John Lewis, Punxsutawney, Pa.
- Class G, Two-Seater Sport Cars to 1992: first place, 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT, Joyce McDonald, Woodland, Pa.; second place, 1986 Mercedes SL 560, Steve Celinski, Clearfield, Pa.; and third place, 1989 Corvette Convertible, Chic Sunderland, Curwensville, Pa.
- Class H, Two-Seater Sports Cars 1993-2002: first place, 2001 BMW 2-3 Roadster, Joe Whitton, Mahaffey, Pa.; second place, 1993 Chevy Corvette, Ken and Val McFarland, Punxsutawney, Pa.; and third place, 2002 Chevy Corvette, Corvette Carol, Curwensville, Pa.
- Class I, Commercial to 2002: No Entrants
- Class J, Most Original unrestored 1900-1977: first place, 1976 Plymouth Feather Duster, Mark Coudriet, Curwensville, Pa.; second place, 1970 Buick Electra 225, Dwight Smalley, McElhattan, Pa.; and third place, 1971 Ford Bronco, Jobe Vogel, Brockport, Pa.
- Class K, Street Rods through 1950: first place, 1932 Ford Victoria, Tom Smith, Altoona, Pa.; second place, 1931 Dodge DH Coupe, Dan O’Dell, St. Marys, Pa.; and third place, 1923 Ford T-Bucket, Scott Robillard, DuBois, Pa.
- Class L, Modified Cars 1951-1976: first place, 1951 Chevy Hardtop, Roger Miles, Irvona, Pa.; second place, 1976 Dodge, Dart Sport, Rick Sabul, Morrisdale, Pa.; and third place, 1970 Ford Mustang, Larry and Shirley Lewis, Rochester Mills, Pa.
- Class M, Modified Cars 1977-2002: first place, 1979 Chevy Camaro, John Thorn, Clearfield, Pa.; second place, 1929 Ford (Shay) Model A, Marge and Roger Steele, Punxsutawney, Pa.; and third place, 1992 Buick Regal, Mary Ann and Jim Osewalt, Houtzdale, Pa.
- Class N, Street Trucks to 1970: first place, 1959 Chevy El Camino, Frank Swartz, Ginter, Pa., and second place, 1959 Chevy 3700, Robert Billotte, Clearfield, Pa.
- Class O, Street Trucks 1971 – 2002: first place, 1987 Chevy Silverado 4×4, Ed and Barb Hamilton, Glasgow, Pa.; second place, 1983 Jeep CJ8 Scramble, Mark Hegey, Clearfield, Pa.; and third place, 1996 Ford F150, Cody Holochwost, Clearfield, Pa.
- Class P. All Modified Trucks/Vans to 2002: first place, 1954 Ford F150, Brad Sinclair, Fallen Timber, Pa.; second place, 1983 Chevy El Camino, Rodney Fox, Fallen Timber, Pa.; and third place, 1987 Dodge Ram, Allen Zortman, Mahaffey, Pa.
- Class Q, Motorcycle Class – American Brand – All years to Present: first place, 2006 Santee Chopper, Scott Robilland, Clearfield, Pa.; second place, 2017 Harley Davison FLSS, Larry Nicklas, Clearfield, Pa.; and third place, 2004 Harley Davidson Sportster, Jim Prait, Hyde, Pa.
- Class R. Motorcycle Class – No Entrants
- Class S. Motorcycle Class – All Trike’s Brand – All years to Present: first place, 2003 Harley Davison Ultra Glide Trike, Dave and Beradine Rebar, Clearfield, Pa.; second place, 2016 Harley Davidson Trike, Jim Grimm, Clearfield, Pa.; and third place, Trike, Paul Breth, Grampian, Pa.
- Class T. AACA National Award Winner: 1980 Dodge Mirada, Dave Powers, Rural Valley, Pa.
- President’s Trophy, 1966 Chevy Chevelle, Bill McElroy, DuBois, Pa.
- Longest Distance Award, 1974 Mercury Comet GT, John Glernacky, Greensburg, Pa.
- Mayor’s Trophy, 1970 Buick Electra 225, Dwight Smalley, McElhattan, Pa.
- Oldest Vehicle, 1922 Franklin Touring, Mac Dufton
- Charles J. Ross Memorial Award, 1970 Opel GT, Jerry and Kathy Carr, Philipsburg, Pa.
- Best FORD in Show, 1955 Ford Customline, Robert and Rebecka Risbon, Altoona, Pa.
- Best in Show Award, 1930 Ford Model A Woody, Dave Walk, Tyrone, Pa.
This year’s door prizes were donated by the Osceola Mills Auction Barn, Osceola Mills. Rick Beausigneur, Clearfield, Pa., was the 50/50 winner; David Blommen, Brockway, Pa., won the 1966 Ford Mustang.
Next year’s show will be Sunday, Aug. 19, 2018.