PHILIPSBURG – The 100th anniversary of the consecration of St. Paul’s Episcopal Church in Philipsburg will be celebrated Sunday.
It will take place at the 9 a.m. service, with a re-creation of the original ceremony of June 14, 1917, and at the coffee hour a grand birthday cake.
All are welcome to participate in the formal opening of the main doors, as in 1917, and in the procession down the main aisle of the church.
A message about the history of the present sanctuary will be given by Dr. Eleanor Congdon, granddaughter and great-granddaughter of the architects, Henry Martyn Congdon and son, Herbert Wheaton Congdon of New York.
Dr. Congdon, professor of medieval history at Ohio State Youngstown, has done a great amount of work in preserving the architectural records of St. Paul’s, and has also authored a study of the building.
Her message will feature newly discovered information on the west window of the church, a grand composition in stained glass representing the Conversion of St. Paul.