Though home is where the heart is, your house may be playing host to several irritants that can make you and your family sick. Protect yourself with these tips.
Your home is a place of warmth where everyone should feel safe. It’s where you go at the end of a long day to relax and surround yourself with the people and things you love. But sometimes, the environment in which you live is responsible for making you and your family sick. Knowing what to look out for helps ensure your family remains healthy. Here are some of the everyday things in your home that are making you sick.
The threat of mold is a constant one that requires everyone in the home to remain vigilant. This fungus is dangerous because it can grow anywhere there is enough moisture. Places in your home likely to see a mold infestation include the bathroom, kitchen and laundry room—all areas where it’s easy for moisture to linger unchecked.
Another common concern in many homes is carbon monoxide. This gas is clear and odorless, so be aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning. These symptoms include headache, shortness of breath, distorted vision and feelings of confusion or nausea. Common sources of carbon monoxide leaks include furnaces, fireplaces and cars.
Some homeowners unknowingly host a few additional housemates in the form of bugs. They are the cause of many irritants that we breathe in, which can trigger an asthma attack or other breathing difficulties. Regularly cleaning your carpets, furniture and drapes helps prevent these problems before they start.
While their purpose may be to prevent the spread of germs and other irritants, the cleaning products we use may also be making us sick. These products can cause throat and eye irritation, headaches and breathing problems. They also can be extremely dangerous when mixed improperly.
Heating and Air Conditioning System
The last few things in your home that are making you sickinvolve your heating and air conditioning system. Regular filter changes are essential to keeping irritants out of the air. You should also have a professional service your system regularly to prevent and remove mold or mildew from growing inside it.