CLEARFIELD – The Clearfield County Commissioners on Tuesday deliberated who should fill a vacant seat on the Clearfield County Recreation & Tourism Authority.
The commissioners received letters of interest regarding the board vacancy from Josh Berndt of Houtzdale and Shannon Wolanski of DuBois.
Commissioner Dave Glass motioned for the appointment of Wolanski and Commissioner John Sobel, chair, for the appointment of Berndt.
Sobel said historically and currently, the majority of the board members have been/are from the Clearfield and DuBois areas.
“Mr. Berndt is from the southern part of the county, and I feel there’s a need for representation from the Moshannon Valley area. And I say that with all due respect to Ms. Wolanski.”
Glass agreed, saying he liked the work Berndt has done for the Houtzdale area. However, he said he couldn’t vote in “good conscience” for someone who “defied orders and held a big New Year’s Eve party.”
Commissioner Tony Scotto said so far as his knowledge, Berndt held a “private function” for family and friends, which followed U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Protection guidelines.
“I wasn’t there,” Scotto said, “and I’m not the police.”
Glass said the commissioners were considering an appointment to the CCRTA, and need to put out a “good face” for residents and visitors alike.
“I like what Josh has done down there,” he said, “and if not for this, I would vote for him, too. We’re in the middle of a pandemic, and it’s important we show people we will follow guidelines and be safe.”
Following board discussion, Glass’ motion died for lack of second. Scotto then seconded Sobel’s motion, and the commissioners voted 2-1 to approve Berndt’s appointment to the CCRTA. Glass cast the nay vote.
The commissioners also:
- appointed Shawn Arbaugh to the Clearfield Jefferson Counties Regional Airport Authority. Arbaugh will fill the unexpired term of Kay Dell’Antonio through Dec. 31, 2022.
- reappointed Phil Robbins for a five-year term on the Clearfield County Housing Authority.
- reappointed Henry H. Daugherty for a four-year term and appointed Nick Hepfl to the Clearfield County Planning Commission.
- reappointed Bonnie Reinke for a five-year term on the Clearfield County Solid Waste Authority.
- reappointed George R. Hunsinger, Patty Murphy and Julie Rae Rickard to the Clearfield County Public Library board.
- reappointed Jodi Brennan to the Headwaters RCD board.
- reappointed Susan Williams for a five-year term on the Curwensville Lake Authority. It was noted there’s still one vacant seat for a five-year term, and interested persons should contact the commissioners’ office by Jan. 25.
- reappointed Susan Reed to a five-year term on the CCRTA board.
- reappointed Michael Hollabaugh, Henry Daugherty and Eric Fox to the Farmland Preservation Board.
- reappointed Dick Castonguay to the Area Transportation Authority board.