The Pennsylvania Department of Transportation (PennDOT) is pleased to announce the winners of District 2’s “Paint the Plow” contest for 2018.
Voting ended Nov. 2, resulting in four “Fan Favorite” winners. The judged portion of the competition was completed Monday, Nov. 5, resulting in four “Judged” winners.
From those results, District 2 also named Overall winners for “Fan Favorite” and “Judged” categories.
Facebook users selected the “Fan Favorites” in each area by “liking” their favorites via the PennDOT Facebook page. The results are as follows:
- Northern area (Elk, McKean and Potter counties): Austin High School with 485 likes.
- Southern area (Mifflin and Juniata counties): East Juniata High School with 266 likes
- Central area (Centre and Clinton counties): Penns Valley High School with 304 likes
- Western area (Clearfield County): DuBois Central Catholic High School with 715 likes
Almost 4,500 “likes” were cast across the 16 competing schools, with DuBois Central Catholic named the overall “Fan Favorite” in District 2.
A panel of judges selected Bellefonte High School as the overall winner of the contest. The overall winners in the “Judged” category for the four specific areas are as follows:
- Northern area: Coudersport High School
- Southern area: East Juniata High School
- Central area: Bellefonte High School
- Western area: DuBois Central Catholic High School
“We’re very pleased with the level of participation and enthusiasm the Paint the Plow program received in 2018 and are excited to see it continue to grow,” said District Executive Karen Michael.
“It’s a pleasure to see local students put their artistic talents to work in delivering an important safety message.”
For the first time since the program’s initial offering in 2016, all high schools across District 2’s nine counties were invited to participate.
The 16 schools that participated in this year’s competition include Austin, Bellefonte, Central Mountain, Clearfield, Coudersport, DuBois, DuBois Central Catholic, East Juniata, Elk County Catholic, Galeton, Harmony, Juniata County, Mifflin County, Penns Valley, Smethport and St. Joseph Catholic Academy.
Each school painted a winter safety message on a Department snow plow. The theme for this year’s message was “Know Before You Go,” which is the slogan of 511PA.
The plows will be mounted to a truck that services the area of the respective school district during the upcoming winter season. The Central Mountain plow will remain on display.