Coalport is situated in southern Clearfield County near the Cambria County line on Clearfield Creek, a tributary of the Susquehanna River.
The large tract of land was originally a thick forest. The land was timbered and the soil was tilled by early pioneers. Farming, timbering and coal mining brought the original settlers to the area.
By the early 1880’s, the opening of coal mines attracted many then recent immigrants, which further developed the local community.
They were a vital part of the low tech and labor-intensive mining-based economy that mushroomed in the southeastern regions of Clearfield County. Immigrants often found a hard life, but it was one that, over time, became their American dream.
This coal industry rapidly brought people and businesses into the area. Rafts were first used to ship the coal down Clearfield Creek before the construction of connecting railroad lines. In 1883, the town was incorporated as a borough and named Coalport.
In 1900, Helman and Edelblute opened the first large coal mine near the center of the town. The period from 1900 to 1920 saw coal mining replacing lumbering on a very large scale.
The Irvona Coal & Coke Company became the first user of electricity in the immediate area. Electricity was first made available to the community in 1904.
Tragically, in August of 1928, Coalport was the scene of one of the worst mining disasters in county history. Thirteen men were killed, and many others injured, in an underground explosion at the Sunshine Mine, operated by the Irvona Coal & Coke Company.