As the temperature begins to rise, the American Red Cross would like to remind you how to stay safe when hitting the pool or beach this summer.
You can “beat the heat” in a fun way by remembering these simple rules:
- Only swim in designated areas supervised by lifeguards.
- Always swim with a buddy and never swim alone.
- Never leave a young child unattended near water or trust a child’s life to another child.
- If you own a pool or hot tub, secure it with the appropriate barriers.
- If boating, be sure to wear U.S. Coast Guard-approved life jackets.
- Protect your skin by wearing sunscreen with a protection factor of at least 15.
- Enroll in a Red Cross water safety or age-appropriate swimming course and consider taking a first aid and CPR/AED course as well.
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water and avoid drinks with alcohol or caffeine.
The Red Cross Emergency App provides useful information on swim safety, plus information on how to prepare for, respond to, and recover from other emergency situations.
You can download the free app from your devices’ app store. You can also learn more by visiting our Water Safety page at redcross.org/watersafety.