Sheetz, one of America’s fastest growing, family-owned and operated convenience store chains, is pleased to announce that it is one of the 2018 Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For, according to global research and consulting firm Great Place to Work® and Fortune Magazine. This list, now in its 21st year, recognizes companies that have exceptional workplace cultures.
Sheetz was ranked 66th, improving upon its 2017 standing by 21 positions. Companies opt to participate in a selection process, which includes an employee survey and an in-depth questionnaire regarding their programs and employee practices.
Great Place to Work® then evaluates each company using a unique methodology based on five dimensions, including credibility, respect, fairness, pride and camaraderie.
“This is the fourth time in five years we have been named to this very distinguished list,” said Sheetz President/Chief Executive Officer Joe Sheetz.
“That certainly would not have happened without the hard work of our employees—from those who work in our stores, to our distribution centers, Sheetz Bros. Kitchens, corporate offices, along with our truck drivers and maintenance teams.
“We strive to create a working environment where people feel valued, have the opportunity to grow and recognize how the work they do helps our company as a whole and the customers we serve, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
“We are committed to building on the investments we’ve made in our people for years to come.”
Sheetz also reaffirmed its status as an innovator in its industry by offering ordering through Amazon Alexa, and was the first two-time winner of Convenience Store Decisions’ Chain of the Year.
Current Sheetz Inc. Snapshot
- Headquarters in Altoona, Pa.
- Operates 565-plus store locations in six states
- In fiscal year 2019, Sheetz is projected to operate 600 stores
- Serving 1.5 million customers per day
- Family owned—66th anniversary in 2018
- 40 new and rebuilt stores in 2017
- On the Fortune 100 Best Companies to Work For list in 2014/2016/2017/2018
- Named by Fortune in 2016/2017 as a Best Workplace for Women
- Named by Fortune in 2016/2017 as a Best Workplace for Millennials
- Named by Fortune in 2015/2016/2017 as one of the Best Workplaces in Retail (Top 10)
- Convenience Store Chain of the Year/Convenience Retailer of the Year
- Locations in six states: Pennsylvania, North Carolina, Virginia, West Virginia, Ohio and Maryland
- Total yearly sales of more than $5.6 billion
- More than 18,200 employees
- Employee bonuses paid in 2017: More than $50 million
Corporate Charities Supported
Sheetz For The Kidz™, a Sheetz employee-driven charitable organization, provided more than $1.5 million in 2017 to ensure approximately 9,300 children in need had gifts at Christmas. Through this program, Sheetz For The Kidz has helped more than 110,000 children living in the communities Sheetz serves.
Through a partnership with Make-A-Wish®, Sheetz For The Kidz granted wishes for 55 children with life-threatening medical conditions in 2017. Since 2005, Sheetz has been able to grant more than 518 wishes!
Special Olympics®: In 2017, with the help of its generous customers, Sheetz donated more than $1 million to the Special Olympics. Sheetz was Pennsylvania’s largest contributor as well as an inductee into the Special Olympics Hall of Fame.
In addition, Sheetz donates millions of dollars in cash and products to worthwhile community endeavors each year.
“The 2018 100 Best are true leaders,” said Michael C. Bush, chief executive officer of Great Place to Work.
“In the face of competition, change, and financial constraints, they consistently prioritize building the trust, pride, and camaraderie that fuels business performance. And they’re doing it at scale for everyone, regardless of who they are or what they do for the organization.”
Organizations named on the list see many benefits that include better financial performance, less employee turnover, higher levels of customer satisfaction and loyalty, more innovative and creative thinking, higher productivity and enhanced public perception.